This light and fluffy cherry and almond cake is topped with a tasty fruit glaze. The cake tastes lovely served with cream or creme fraiche. I find there something so tasty about a light fluffy sponge served with tangy fruit. The addition of the fruity glaze over the slightly tangy sour cherries give the cake a little hint of something special.
- 150g unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 350g cherries
- 150g ground almonds
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 100g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of redcurrant jelly
- Cream of Creme Fraiche to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Line an 8″ square tin
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the bottom of the tin. Stone and halve the cherries and mix with the brown sugar and make sure they are spread evenly over the bottom of the tin.
- Place all other ingredients in a mix bowl and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Spread the batter over the cherries and cook until a skewer comes out clean.
- Once cooled remove from the tin and upside down.
- Melt the redcurrant jelly and using a pastry brush cover the top of the cake.
- Serve with cream or creme fraiche.